Property for sale in Alfas del Pi
The origin of l’Alfàs del Pi is intimately linked with agriculture and the culture of water. Alfases a toponym of Arab origin meaning fertile land or cultivated land. In the middle of the sixteenth century our population was a small village dependent on the barony of Polop and was called Alfàs de Polop. At that time, Baroness Beatriz Fajardo de Mendoza began the construction of an irrigation system, the Reg Major de l’Alfàs, in order to increase the agricultural wealth of her lands.
This ditch, which collects its waters in the Ponoig, passes through the towns of Polop, Nucia, l’Alfàs del Pi and Benidorm. In their route they installed a great quantity of mills, some of them still standing, besides fountains and washings. This network of irrigation ditches, which 345 years after its construction still continues to function, allowed a notable increase in agricultural production and the population settled in this area. Finally, in 1836, l’Alfàs became independent from Polop, now renamed l’Alfàs del Pi, in honor of the pine planted in 1786 in the main square that symbolizes this act of independence.
From the 250 neighbors registered in 1836, l’Alfàs has become a population with more than 21,000 inhabitants.
It is one of the most touristic Alicante municipalities of the Costa Blanca, with more than 90 nationalities living in a perfect quality of international life. In spite of this, its urban helmet still conserves corners that take us to a small Mediterranean population with an economy based on the agriculture. The streets Baldons, Calvari, Gall or Baix, with its narrow layout and traditional houses, or the Plaza Mayor, with the pine and the Church of San José, evoke a time in which life was organized around the agricultural cycles And the times were marked with the ringing of the bells.